Thursday, April 21, 2011

the boy

For my friends that have boys, are going to have boys, or have girls and need some boy appreciation.

Lately I have been pondering the difference between boys v. girls.

Well, pondering makes it sound like I sit around thinking solemnly deep thoughts in a quiet spot for a few hours.

So lets scratch that.

Lately I have been briefly throwing my hands in the air in exasperation as Mr. B continues to prove he is very different than his older sister.


This guy turns everything into a racetrack. Everything. Like mom's arm. Or the family popcorn bowl filled with popcorn. It seems he is challenged by any surface to try and defy it. And don't get me started on how we can never leave the house without a set of wheels in his clutches. Or for that matter, how he manages to nab one from the nursery room each Sunday, squirreling it away until we get home. I think we owe them about 20 by now, and the kid hasn't even officially turned 18 months yet.


This guy was a late walker. But has made up for it. He would never wear shoes. He was a master at shedding them. I was so worried we would loose some here and there on our outings that I wouldn't even bother to put any on him.

And then the first steps came. Which he's never stopped since. And quickly the association began that shoes=going outside. If you happen to do a drive-by, you will see us out front. Mr. B will be walking the sidewalks. I will be right behind him. As soon as we get to the neighbors driveway on the east, I flip him around. We walk/run to the neighbors driveway on the west, I flip him around again. I feel like we play this game of human ping pong 70 times a day.

Shoes no longer stand a chance around here.

If I was going above and beyond, I'd pull out a pair of Miss A's shoes from this same era. They would not compare to what we have currently happening around here.

This guy still hasn't officially started talking, but he has a few patent growls, screams, and other "boy noises" well refined.

This guy l.o.v.e.s. to be outside. I really am thinking of erecting some small tarp in the backyard. Sure he would be fine for at least 4 or 5 months. So different than Miss A who has to come check in with me, bring me a flower, play around a bit and then eventually beg me to come out with her.

This guy also has me worried about keeping up on the trends of boy hair, boy clothes, boy activities. Growing up with all sisters has me worried.

But don't get me wrong. This guy is lots of fun. He pairs nicely with the older sis. Nothing better than giving him lots and lots of kisses.

Can't imagine life without the boy.

2 comments:

  1. It's so nice to hear from the parent of a girl, the difference in having a boy. Thanks validating my suspicions! Let's do lunch at the new Chickfila soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In other words: I am in for it! :) He is darling. Love the shoe illustration.

    ReplyDelete