Wednesday, December 15, 2010

blue christmas

Sadly, I think we may be a little blue this Christmas. Our sweet, sweet grandma passed away quietly and peacefully last night. It was exactly how I would have wished for her to go, but nonetheless you can imagine there are a few of us who will be missing her.


Leah was always an angel to me and my family. I remember wanting everyone from my side of the family to meet her and grandpa because I couldn't think more highly of anyone else. I am so thankful that I was able to be blessed with the eight years with her. All the memories sitting around my in-laws table after Sunday dinners, swapping stories of our week, exchanging laughter, praise and love for each other. She truly had a gift that made everyone feel they were her favorite; that they were most special to her. I was so touched, that when we found out we were pregnant with a girl we felt strongly that our little one should be named after someone filled with so much good and love for others.

I am grateful that a couple of Sundays ago we went and visited Grandma and Grandpa randomly. It was snowy, and way too icy to be out, but wonderful all the same. Grandma had the usual smile and thankful words for us. It was the last "real" conversation we had, and the last time our kids got to hug and kiss her.
I am also grateful for the treasure of being able to visit last week when we knew the end was coming. In a quiet moment, when Bug and Grandpa were busy discussing finances and other matters I was able to hold her hand, and rub her arm silently communicating my goodbyes.

What a good lady. I think there is something special about someone so good passing to the other side. I know there is nothing but celebrations and welcome reunions.

And now as I continue on, spending my days in the same house she kept so neat and tidy for 50 years, I think of her often as I change the sheets, make the kids lunch, and tidy up the house. Thinking of her helps me to be more patient and loving with my own kids. I hope her sweet spirit can linger here always.

Love you Grandma.
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post. She seems very much like my dear Grandma Wallace who passed away right before Christmas two years ago. "I'll be home for Christmas" was sung and her funeral. At the time, I thought I would never look at Christmas the same way but you are right there is something special about one that has lived such an amazing life and their reunion in the after life. I would like to to think lots of congratulatory "You made it!" "Way to go!" will be said in their honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am bawling right now reading this. My mom just called me. I am so glad that she was able to go peacefully. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful remarks, she looks and sounds like she was a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tender tribute. Those pictures are amazing and are a real treasure to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoughts and prayers with your family this Christmas. I know you will have an added measure of the spirit with you this season. XOXO

    ReplyDelete