Friday, December 16, 2011

To Santa with Love

This year Santa is in for a real treat at our house.  Instead of finding the usual sugar cookie laid out for his arrival we are making Southern Rice Krispie Date Balls. (worst name for the best little treat)  Our family is going to start calling them Snowballs.

I got this recipe the other night from a friend, Natalie, in our old neighborhood.  She commissioned me to do several paintings for her for Christmas last year, and when I stopped by to drop them off she had a batch of these Snowballs on hand.  I pride myself in being somewhat adventurous in my eating, willing to try it all once, and found myself in heaven when I tried these.  Ever since I have had them on the back of my mind and asked for the recipe (& was promptly rewarded...love good friends).

And for the record, I have never, ever bought dates before until yesterday let alone cooked with them until this afternoon.  But there was nothing to fear.  If you are unfamiliar with this fruit: familiarize yourself with it.  
You won't regret it.  


Snowballs

1 stick of butter
1 cup of sugar
1 pack of chopped dates (8 oz) (I chopped them myself, but make sure you get them pitted)
2 cups Rice Krispie cereal
1 teaspoon vanilla
confectioners sugar (enough to coat balls)


Put butter, sugar, and chopped dates in a sauce pan. Cook on medium low heat until dates are melted. This takes about 8 minutes.

Take off heat and stir in Rice Krispies and vanilla.

You can also add a cup of chopped nuts if you like. Pecans are good.

Pour date mixture in a pan and let it cool. You don't want it totally cold, but you don't want it so hot it hurts your hands.

Take pieces of the mixture and shape into balls. It helps if you put a little butter on your fingers to do this.

Roll balls in confectioners sugar.

That's it. Very easy. Very tasty.  And even your four-year-old will love helping you with this one.

I am taking mine tonight to my family party...thinking about not telling them there are dates in it at first to see their reaction?

Happy Snowballing!

1 comment:

  1. I think they're called Sugar Plums and they sound delicious. Coincidentally, I just read a post from the camp we go to in Maine where the chef shares his recipe for Sugar Plums. Very similar. (BTW, the chef is Greek and he's amazing.) http://www.kingsleypines.com/Content/CurrentNews/template_permalink.asp?id=222

    ReplyDelete